Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH – pronounced “cosh”) is the UK law that requires employers to control substances that are hazardous to health.
There are a few basic rules to prevent or reduce exposure to hazardous substances:
- Find out what the health hazards of a chemical are.
- Decide how to prevent harm to health, download and complete a risk assessment survey.
- Provide control measures to reduce harm to health.
- Make sure they are used.
- Keep all control measures in good working order.
- Provide information, instruction and training for employees and others.
- Provide monitoring and health surveillance in appropriate cases.
- Plan for emergencies.
Most kitchens use substances, or products that are mixtures of substances, that could cause harm. Sometimes substances are easily recognised as harmful, but as a rule always check the label for handling, storing and other information.
Download the COSHH fact sheet.